Friday, January 2, 2015

Gatsby Dress


I went a little rogue on the design.

When I made up the original pattern muslin, it was a standard 20s fit - a giant sack, tied tight at the hips and floppy at the waist.  It was somewhat less than flattering.   So, while I could have fitted and fusses and made it work, I just didn't feel like it, and I knew no one else at the party was going for historical accuracy (except Greg - but he's a cheater*).  So - I took a pattern that already fitted in the bodice (VPLL princess slip)  and drafted the VPLL evening gown skirt onto it.



I had some extra fabric, that I attached around the collar to make it resemble the original cowl.   I left the floppy bit in the back - it ended up looking a bit more 30s than 20s (especially with the hair) but it worked.  I also snuck in a side seam zipper - 


I was in a odd mood when I started this dress, and couldn't be bothered to get off the couch - so I decided to do it entirely by hand.    The hem is a double set of running stitches with metallic thread which helps the draping show up and sparkle.


I added beading around the neckline and false cowl.   I got a variegated set.  lots more sparkly bits.  



 Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. I've heard dresses from that era are tough to pull off if you're not built like a board. Did you cut your hair, or pin and curl it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd agree - I think that's why they didn't stay in fashion too long, compared to the fitted bodice/wide skirt look which seems to come back in a new iteration just about every decade.

      Also - my hair is curled and pinned. I tried having short hair and it just doesn't suit me.

      Delete

I love to hear from people :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...